This is exciting! While I still want some side-by-side learning of how to navigate Adobe Premiere, the possibilities are rather nifty. This video project gave me the scope to pull together my semester theme: exploring how we do (or do not) honor a parent’s autonomy within the community that surrounds and supports the parent. As I’ve alluded to, my concern tends to sit with “who” is doing the defining. While we Americans live in a society that pays homage to self-sufficiency and autonomy, we also feel free to share our opinion of how best to raise a child. Indeed, there has been a rapidly increasing spate of kingdom building as people make a living off of child-rearing theories , tools and opinions.
For this draft, I used my Nikon CoolPix digital camera to record two different interviews, as well taking the still pictures I needed for project footage in local businesses. I reviewed the 5-shot method and tried to keep those ideas in my head as I gathered my footage. For the story, I was torn between using hiking paths to give a sense of “finding one’s way” or sticking to my initial idea. After spending time thinking, reviewing audio project footage, and listening to the interview, I decided to stay the course. The still pictures I took in the local businesses would work well with select bits of my audio project, and help convey that sense of being overwhelmed.
Mind made up, I set to work. I developed my storyboard but gave myself the freedom to stray from it as I saw fit. The first change I made was in adding an additional column. An outline is a useful tool for the overall shape, but the details resolve themselves during the actual production. I tend to try out approaches, and if I don’t like it, I scrap it and try something else. It was useful for the skeleton of the project, but I suspect there is not as much detail in my storyboard as a professional in the field might have in hers. I also suspect that if I continued to use Adobe Premiere, I would grow familiar enough with the terminology to know what terms to plug in where.
It’s a good thing I took Thursday off of work to dive into producing the video. This part of it took 10 hours. I was glad I had hyperlinked in my tutorial blog the helpful instructional videos I found, as I referred back to them several times. I tried several new transition effects, and sliced and diced interview footage with radio project narration and mixed and matched stills to form a coherent story. I’m sure there’s room for improvement, and I look forward to feedback!